Let's start by explaining what veins do. Veins take your blood back to the heart. For the blood to flow upward and against gravity, the vein wall must keep the pressure in the leg veins, while veins valves work in keeping the blood flowing without returning or moving back where it came from.
What Happens when your veins do not work correctly?
When your veins are not working correctly, the doctors say you have abnormal venous blood flow. This means your blood is not making its way back to the heart as it is supposed to. When the flow of blood back to the heart is affected your blood stagnates, and you may begin to fell your legs heavy, achy, and itchy. As the varicose veins worsen, you may start to see your ankles and leg swell (edema), and your skin could begin to change. Skin changes are not reversible and are also called by doctors lipodermatosclerosis.
Top 5 Reason to wear Compression Stockings
1. These garments have been medically proven to avoid blood clots-such as deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolisms.
2. They will help you by aiding the body in moving blood up the leg.
3. Compression garments reduce swelling caused by venous disease or lymphedema.
4. diminishing the symptoms of aching, restless leg syndrome, as well as itching caused by venous insufficiency.
5. They can be used to treat and prevent varicose veins and spider veins from progressing as well as improving results and reducing recovery time after a venous procedure.
6. They can often also help heal skin sores and prevent them from returning.
Things to know about ordering compression stockings:
1. They need to be prescribed by a doctor.
2. The compression of these garments vary. The compression level depends on your illness.
3. Compressions stockings should be prescribed by a knowledgeable doctor. It is Imperative to choose the correct level of compression suitable to your condition, for maximum health benefits.
4. Compression stockings require several measurements. These measurements must be accurate and usually best measured by experienced personnel.
5. They must have graduated compression. This signifies that the sock is tighter at the ankle and becomes looser as it moves up your leg. This increased pressure at the ankle drives blood flow up, counteracting the effects of gravity.
6. Put them on this the Morning. Its easier since your legs are no swollen.
Here is some good news.
You do not need stockings while you sleep. They come in different styles, colors, material, and length. You can choose between knee-high, thigh-high, and pantyhose as well as an open toe or closed toe. You may wash compression socks in cold water without fabric softener. However, they should be air dried. Compression stockings loose effectiveness after 6 months especially when they are worn frequently.
The pressure that these stockings put on your ankles and legs compresses the surface arteries and veins, thus support healthy blood circulation in your legs by helping the vein valves to function properly and get the blood back to your heart without obstructions