What are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are generally the result of a failure of the Great Saphenous Vein, a vein located deep the inside the thigh. The great saphenous vein is only visible with the aid of an ultrasound device, which means that all patients with bulging varicose veins should receive an ultrasound exam before treatment and diagnosis. Blood in healthy veins travels in a single direction, but the insufficiency of the saphenous vein valves causes blood to leak and fall back the opposite direction. Blood travels backward from the veins in the thigh and pools inside veins in the calf. This backwards blood flow causes veins to stretch, swell, and twist. Varicose veins may progress and cause threatening blood clots or large ulcers on the legs and ankles if left untreated.
Characterized by veins that appear twisted and bulging underneath the skin surface, varicose veins can be caused by a variety of factors such as:
- A sedentary lifestyle
- Jobs that require excessive standing or sitting
Varicose Veins can also be found in the abdominal area leading to Pelvic Congestion Syndrome.
What are the consequences when Varicose Veins are left untreated?
Symptoms that may occur when Varicose Veins are left untreated, develop when the bulging varicose veins do not allow the blood to circulate becoming stagnant leading to the development of leg ulcers and superficial blood clots, where a small percentage of these blood clots can migrate thru the vein to the deep venous system. Deep vein blood clots are dangerous and can lead to a Pulmonary Embolism causing death.
While most people who experience varicose may be asymptomatic, this vascular condition can cause the following symptoms:
- Varicose Veins
- Painful legs
- Tired or fatigued legs
- Superficial Phlebitis
- Reddening of skin
- Leg ulceration and sores
- Lipodermatosclerosis, rash
- or discoloration of the skin
At Miami Vein Center, we offer multiple treatment options for varicose veins.
How are Varicose Veins Treated?
Depending on the condition, location and severity of varicose veins, Dr. Almeida will recommend the least invasive treatment that provides the best results. Our current treatments include:
- The conservative method. This is done through the use of compression stockings and may involve lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise to slow the advance of vascular disease.
- Conventional and Ultrasound-guided Sclerotherapy, where a medical solution is injected into affected veins, causing them to clot and be removed naturally by the body.
- Endovenous Ablation – Using ultrasound technology, a small catheter is inserted into the vein, where it is permanently sealed off using either laser or radiofrequency energy.
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy is used to remove large varicose veins near the skin surface, small incisions are made to remove affected veins with small surgical tools.
Which Varicose Vein Treatment is Right for Me?
During your consultation, Dr. Almeida will assess your condition and the severity of your varicose veins as well as your overall health and medical history to determine which course of treatment is right for you.
Why Choose Miami Vein Center for My Varicose Vein Treatment?
There are several locations to have varicose veins removed in Miami, but only Miami Vein Center features a vein specialist who will rule out underlying health problems before treating varicose veins. This is not only beneficial to your health, it is also helps prevent varicose veins from redeveloping in the future.
Contact Miami Vein Center today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Almeida and have your varicose veins diagnosed and treated accurately and professionally.